Definitely one of my top favorite authentic Cuban meals is Crab Enchilada. Typically when people think enchilada they think of some sort of burrito. In my culture its just a big mixture of ingredients made in one pot. This dish is a tomato based crab dish that I make with spaghetti. I make this dish with snow crab legs and bodies, but you can make it with any sort of crab or even buy just crab meat and throw it in.
Now there should be a warning on this dish because it is EXTREMELY messy!! Most of the time when we eat it my husband doesn’t wear a shirt and I wear a really old raggedy shirt because the sauce will end up all over the place! I will put the recipe along with some pictures below! Enjoy!! (This recipe will feed about 6 people)
5lbs of Snow Crab
1lb of shrimp
4 big cans of tomato sauce
5 Garlic cloves
1. Get two deep pots heated over medium heat. Put about a tablespoon of olive oil in each.
2. Drop in 1 chopped large onion (1/2 in each pot**) and sauté for a couple minutes
3. Drop in 5 chopped garlic cloves finely minced, 2 tablespoons of Oregano, and 2 bay leaves. (remember to split between pots)
(Above: How the pot should look with all of the above ingredients incorporated)
4. Next you want to separate the legs from the bodies and cut the legs in half. After you cut the legs in half get your knife and make a crack in the shell. (this is to ensure that the crab gets the sauce in the shell and your able to infuse the flavors).
5. Now put your cans of tomato sauce, about two tablespoons of tomato paste, and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce into the pots. Now at this point I would taste my sauce to see if it needs salt. Normally I put a pinch in, but its definitely your preference.
6. Next put 1 cup (1/2 cup per pot) of any cooking wine you prefer in the pot. (I just so happen to have red wine on hand but most of the time I use white)
7. Place the crab in the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer.
8. After it have been simmering for about 30mins drop in the pound of shrimp.
9. At this time I would start to boil the water for the spaghetti so they would finish cooking together.
10. Once the shrimp is cooked through its time to eat!
** Remember to place half of each in each pot
Till next time, Hooah!